Monday, July 6, 2009

"Chartres Street" - Oil painting by Diane Millsap

I just recently finished this large 5 ft. tall painting for a New Orleans resident. While I was working on it, I couldn't help reflect on what a showcase the French Quarter is for artistic expression. There is such a wide variety of architectural styles crammed into every street, every block! Every building is so unique! Different shutter styles, arched doorways next to very plain shuttered doors. And the iron balconies! No two are alike.

I think it is all this detail which draws us to these magical streets. The labor of the architects and artisans who built these houses and shops lives on for us to enjoy. It is amazing to think that these buildings were constructed just for everyday use as shops, apartments, and homes. What a far cry from the big box stores and strip malls we have to look at today!!!

Check our more of my New Orleans art at:
www.dianemillsap.com

1 comment:

  1. I think you already know how much I like this painting. Your work shines.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and remarks are welcomed!