Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sunrise in the French Quarter


It's been about a month since our last trip to New Orleans, but I can still remember how beautiful the early morning is in the French Quarter.  I was standing on the balcony of our hotel on Chartres Street looking towards Esplanade Avenue, and the sun was just coming up.  All of a sudden the buildings at the end of the street took on an incredible glow.  There were soft pinks and yellows and wonderful shades of purples and lavenders.  It only lasted for a few minutes, but I grabbed my camera and got a few shots.  As soon as we got back to Illinois, I got out my paints and tried to get the scene down on canvas.  
I love all the excitement and glitter of New Orleans, but this quiet and tranquil scene of the old Vieux Carre' is one that I will always remember.  This fleeting moment in time was another facet of this complicated and truly alive city called New Orleans. 
This large original oil painting was recently sold at Kako Gallery on Royal Street in the French Quarter.
To see more of my New Orleans art visit: 
Special orders welcomed!

2 comments:

  1. This is really lovely.How nice it must be to be able to frame your memories. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and remarks are welcomed!